Igniting Young Minds - The seven weeks experience i had with at the igniting young minds session cannot probably be expressed in words. I was just a fresher at college this year when i decided to join LFT. When my college co-ordinator told me about the IYM initiative I was highly motivated by it. I started continuously following all updates, attended meetings and instantly felt in love with the ideas and it evoked the social consciousness inside me. I had always wanted to do something but never really got the platform to do so, but LFT provided me with the platform. I was chosen to be the core team member for the Saket centre, Jamghat .The seven weeks I spent with those kids were one of the best days of my life and i mean it. No matter how bad your day was, but when you reached the centre and saw those kids eagerly running towards you and calling out our names, all the tiredness just vanished. It is amazing to see all the enthusiasm the kids have in them and the ability to learn in them. Most of us just take our studies as a burden, but it is so disheartening to see those kids wanting to learn so much, but most of them are not able to. I am glad that me and my team of volunteers could bring about a little change in their lives. We taught them stuff on personal hygiene, manners, spellings, some dance moves, played with them, read out stories to them and much more. All it took was one hour of all the volunteers and I would appreciate the enthusiasm of all volunteers who took out time and decided to make a difference in the lives of these kids. All I would like to say is seeing a smile on the faces of those children and the feeling of knowing that we made a difference in someone’s life is just priceless.


Adopt a Plant - We arranged ADAPT-adopt a plant in our college . Though we were not a large no. Of students who took the initiative and went on with it, but we were able to reach out to many. As the students saw us going towards the garden area with the plant saplings they did come and ask us what we were doing. We could proudly tell them about the initiative of LFT. From the gardener of our college to our watchman, we were able to attract their attention and they too helped us in planting those saplings. Though we were a small number of girls who went out to plant the saplings i can proudly say we could reach out to many students in our college, some of them did join our organization after seeing us work. Many of them in the college still recognize us by saying “oh you are the guys who were planting trees”. It is so nice to be recognized by the work we do.


Book Collection Drive - The book collection drive has been going in our college (kamala Nehru college) for about 10 days now. All the members made adequate efforts in publicising the events. Till now we have been able to collect about 150 books including secret seven series, harry potter series and many more. We are expecting about 50-60 more books as people have come up to us promising they would give more books. We will be going to some children’s home, where we were going for the IYM initiative and give those children the books. We are glad that we would be able to make a library for these children. Like they say every bit makes a difference, i would like to thank all donors who donated the books, you surely would bring a smile to someone’s face.


Youth Exchange Program - Today I attended the orientation meeting for the Youth exchange programme. I was introduced to my host in Lucknow and it was lovely interacting with her. I am really looking forward to the programme and taking LFT’s name to a different city. Every winter break i just sit at home and spend Christmas probably sitting and eating with my friends, but i am glad this Christmas breaks i would be give something to the society and spread social awareness amongst the students over there. It’s just been five months that I’ve joined LFT and i cannot believe we have already done so much. Really looking forward to YEP, and exploring the city of nawabs-lucknow!
- Sakshi Mittal